RE: Poll on large sites that deploy Iptables.

Brett Simpson wrote:
> We are a large organization, 3000 plus users, considering switching
> from Checkpoint FW1 to Iptables. I was wondering how many large
> organizations (1000 plus users) are using Iptables in a production
> environment?

I can't speak for concurrent connections, but I know that stability is
pretty good for moderate loads. My network has 100 users with about 10
TB of traffic in the course of 2 months. Linux reboots are rare, but
when you do, you'll want to make sure to update any critical kernel
issues. With so much traffic, any bug could impact your setup
substantially. I can't speak for Checkpoint's qualities, so I'm not the
best reference.

I imagine the best plan would be to take up a test group and object them
to the Linux based gateways and see how THEY like it. I don't think
there should be a show-stopper unless you have a situation that isn't
iptables compatible, like some L5-7 issues, and maybe a few remote-auth
type things.

Net stats:
You can expect to reboot the server quarterly for updates (tested
beforehand on test env.)
I've never had Linux crash, so I assume the mean time error is > 1 year
if you aren't running anything too experimental.
25% CPU utilization on a P4 2.66 (not dual-threaded) when filtering
~120Mb/s of traffic
Concurrent connections exceeding 3000 have never peaked the system
beyond 200MB in the 512MB system (other non-firewall programs as well)

Things to watch out for:
Control your logging because it will get ugly
Plan for proper capacity. 3000 ppl feeding into a T-1 isn't such a big
deal, but if you're edge firewall's hosting a fat pipe, expect to spend
time tuning all of Linux/Netfilter's settings to utilize the best
efficiency. Linux perfect out-of-the-box.
The good thing is that Linux has tons of tools to help you find out
what's going on in the network.
Management time/costs will probably go up due to more baby-sitting the
system. It all depends on how dynamic you network is. The more unique
things you do, the longer it'll take to implement on Linux.

Conclusions
I know it isn't what you wanted, but I hope it gives you some idea on
what to expect.