Re: Poll on large sites that deploy Iptables.

Ok, let me show some info about my firewall here:
We have too many aliases in our 5 ethernet interfaces, and some tun
interfaces.
This frw is a vpn server too. Do many nats and filter rules.
I'll paste here some line counts just to show you an ideia of this frw:

See some info:

- Iptables rules:
[root(sethi)~]#> iptables -L -n | wc -l
   1313
[root(sethi)~]#> iptables -L -n -t nat | wc -l
    447

- Interfaces: (we have so many aliases here, 5 ethernet interfaces and about
20 tun interfaces:
[root(sethi)~]#> ifconfig | grep -E "eth|tun" | wc -l
    317

- Routes: We have a laarrge routing table, cause we have many links..
[root(sethi)~]#> route -n | wc -l
    157

- Mem: Rarely we use swap:
[root(sethi)~]#> free
Mem:        515544     494492      21052          0     122284     275468
-/+ buffers/cache:      96740     418804
Swap:       498004          0     498004

- Uptime:
[root(sethi)~]#> uptime
 17:57:37  up 58 days,  7:02,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

- Machine:
[root(sethi)~]#> cat /proc/cpuinfo  | head -8
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 1
model name      : AMD-K7(tm) Processor
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 650.028
cache size      : 512 KB

This frw has a 4mb link to the internet, that is amolst all the time at 90%
[root(sethi)~]#> cat /etc/slackware-version
Slackware 9.1.0

So, I think linux is pretty good for firewall and routing :)