Re: Some more IPSec - IPTables issues?

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 12:26, Stefan Wagner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I need this functionality to be able to create a VPN-tunnel between to
> > networks, one of which is behind a dynamic IP-address. I have a working
> > solution by (dirty)-hacking Racoon, but that hack is unmaintainable.
>
> What solution is that ?
>
> Cheers,

When Racoon would receive a request for a policy that existed to a
different gateway, Racoon blocked the request. The Error message was
that it would need to nest policies.
I changed the test in racoon to detect this situation and start an
external script. A bit like the routing-scripts in FreeSWan.

This script would have the new remote ipsec-gateway as a parameter, and
reset the policy to this new adres. The result is an ipsec-tunnel
between two gateway's but with one end dynamic.

But this is a really dirty trick, because I reset the complete network
to catch this new connection. (including new firewall rules, SPD
policies and a racoon restart:( )

Unmaintainable!

The problem is that an Ipsec tunnel with an dynamic gateway is undefined
in the standard.
Instead I would like to use one end as a roadwarrior host, masquerading
the remote network. This will leave me with a uni-directional tunnel,
but that is good enough for me.

Trouble is the way ipsec and SNAT function at this moment. It doesn't
yet work.

I thought of 3 different solutions:

1 Using the userland QUEUE target after the SNAT and reinject the
packages before the IPSEC-filter. Sounds like a possible workaround.

2 The Freeswan virtual devices solution, but most people seem to agree
that that's not a clean design.

3 Allowing SNAT in the PREROUTING chain, too. That way I should be able
to SNAT before IPSEC.

Any more suggestions?

Greetings,

Ludo.