Re: [OT] about this list (was: newbie question)

On Thursday 08 April 2004 09:54, Frank Gruellich wrote:
> * Antony Stone <Antony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  8. Apr 04:
> > On Thursday 08 April 2004 1:32 pm, Jeffrey Laramie wrote:
> > > [thanks to Antony]
> >
> > Hey, thanks, it's nice to remember that there's a lot more people on this
> > list than just those who post (questions or answers).
>
> I totally agree to Jeffrey.  And I really admire your patience.
> Unfortunatelly I don't have it.
>
> > Good - in that case I'm doing a useful job :)   If I were posting replies
> > which people thought "yes, I knew that - why didn't the questioner just
> > look it up in a tutorial somewhere",
>
> This list has (IMHO) three 'problems' (this is one of it):
>
> 1. There are a lot of 'bad' questition/postings, like "This is my script
> (200+ lines), it doesn't work, what's wrong?"  I would never answer
> something like this.  Many problems are very bad described.  (I had some
> mails offlist with somebody from this list.  But after about three mails
> to and from I still had no idea about the problem.  So I gave up.)
>
> 2. Additionally most of the questions could be answered with 'RTFM', a
> -j LOG at a proper place, a 'watch -d iptables -t $table -nvxL $chain'
> and/or a tcpdump.  (Maybe I should write a mini-howto-debug-iptables?)

Awhile back I wrote down some mailing list guidelines which might be useful to
newbies or others who are not mailing list 'regulars'. I normally wouldn't
re-post something like this, but in the context of this thread I think
helping people write effective postings is the best way to do something nice
for Antony and the others who post here regularly.

http://www.ubaight.com/JeffsRules.html

Feel free to reuse, copy, edit, link to 'Jeffs Rules' as you see fit. I
welcome any suggestions for addtions or changes; please send them to me
directly off list. Again, thanks to Antony and all the others who spend their
time helping others.

Jeff