[OT] about this list (was: newbie question)

* Antony Stone <Antony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  8. Apr 04:
> On Thursday 08 April 2004 1:32 pm, Jeffrey Laramie wrote:
> > [thanks to Antony]
> Hey, thanks, it's nice to remember that there's a lot more people on this list
> than just those who post (questions or answers).

I totally agree to Jeffrey.  And I really admire your patience.
Unfortunatelly I don't have it.

> Good - in that case I'm doing a useful job :)   If I were posting replies
> which people thought "yes, I knew that - why didn't the questioner just look
> it up in a tutorial somewhere",

This list has (IMHO) three 'problems' (this is one of it):

1. There are a lot of 'bad' questition/postings, like "This is my script
(200+ lines), it doesn't work, what's wrong?"  I would never answer
something like this.  Many problems are very bad described.  (I had some
mails offlist with somebody from this list.  But after about three mails
to and from I still had no idea about the problem.  So I gave up.)

2. Additionally most of the questions could be answered with 'RTFM', a
-j LOG at a proper place, a 'watch -d iptables -t $table -nvxL $chain'
and/or a tcpdump.  (Maybe I should write a mini-howto-debug-iptables?)

3. And finally, these very few interesting postings left from this stuff
are answerd by Antony in a blink of an eye.  (Hey, notice the ticks
around the word 'problem'.)

> I regard netfilter as a great system, and it's just my way of putting
> something back into Open Source.

This is very noble trait.  I started a lot of mails and finally deleted
them.  They looked like <200404081339.44504.Antony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
(but less polite).

Thanks for your work,
 regards, Frank.