Re: Fairly complex multi-ISP firewall/router problem

Daniel Chemko wrote:
Antony Stone wrote:

On Friday 02 April 2004 10:36 pm, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 15:57, Bill Davidsen wrote:

All I want to do is send packets out the interface which matches the
source IP, and I don't think there's any reasonable way to get there
without patches or BSD.

Hmmm . . . I admit to not having tried this and only giving it five minute's thought but I'm not sure I see the problem. Well, I see why one can't be guaranteed to send the packet out the same interface but I'm not sure why that is a problem.

Some ISPs block packets with source addresses not matching their own network range, as a contribution to blocking spoofed packets.

This is a very real issue, especially when they're only consumer grade.

What I've used to fix the problem is to use the CONNMARK extension on
the PREROUTING step of mangle. Here, I can set the appropriate routes
and everything that uses CONNMARK will work fine.

Awesome! I have to read this for a bit and refresh my understanding of CONNMARK before I try it, but this may solve the whole problem.

Totally impressive technical part snipped for brevity but saved and printed!

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
  CTO TMR Associates, Inc