Re: Having NAT problems

On Thursday 01 April 2004 9:32 pm, Adam Kennedy wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 21:19:45 +0100, Antony Stone wrote
>
> > Okay, how's this then  - please post all the rules which you think
> > are needed for this pcAnywhere setup to work (with suitable partial
> > obscuring of IPs if you wish).   Then we'll tell you if we can see
> > something missing?
>
> That's actually what I wound up doing in the last post. That's all the
> rules on the box save for a few NAT entries which I just commented out.
> Commenting them out and re-running the file didn't do anything. I'm at my
> wits end.

In that case let's see if there's something strange about the protocol
pcAnywhere uses.   Set up a similar DNAT rule for something we know about,
like ssh (or http, or any other service you happen to be running on an
internal server), and see if you can connect to that from the outside world.

If you can, then there's obviously something about pcAnywhere which either
doesn't like NAT, or isn't sufficiently simple to work on a single
destination port.

If you can't connect to ssh (or whatever) either, then there's something weird
going on and we really would need to see more about your ruleset to help
further.

Unless anyone else here can spot something I've missed from what's been posted
already....?   Maybe someone else has used pcAnywhere through NAT with
netfilter?

Regards,

Antony

--
Normal people think "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Engineers think "If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet".

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.