Re: Adding a flag to a packet

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 9:01 pm, Cody Harris wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:53:18 +0100, Antony Stone wrote:
>
> > > If we've covered the NAT table, what's the mangle table?
> >
> > The mangle table is aptly named, and allows you to fiddle about with bits
> > of the packets headers which most people wouldn't even think of changing
> > - things like the TTL (Time To Live) field, the TOS (Type Of Service)
> > field, and for MARKing packets (which doesn't actually change the packet,
> > but allows netfilter to carry a special marker around with the packet
> > during further processing).
>
> Is it possible, with the mangling table, to edit the packet to have a
> special flag?

Yes..... sort of...

> So that when it hits another firewall that's setup correctly,
> it sends it to a pre-configured ip? Example:

No.   Not with MARK, anyway.

I said "sort of" because the MARK value is not actually part of the packet
(not even part of the header) - it's just something that netfilter associates
with the packet whilst it's wandering around the machine which MARKed it.
As soon as the packet leaves the machine, the MARK disappears.

> On my internet network, the ip range is 192.168.0.0 to 255. If a computer
> sent a packet to 192.168.1.5, the computer used the gateway, slapped a flag
> on it, sent it to 1.2.3.4, the firewall there saw the flag, changed the ip
> on it to 192.168.1.5 coming from 192.168.0.6. When the computer sent a
> response, it just reversed the process.

Sorry, I don't quite follow what you're suggesting here.   Let me quote it
back to you with some questions inserted:

> On my internet network, the ip range is 192.168.0.0 to 255. If a computer

A computer where?

> sent a packet to 192.168.1.5,

You do recognise that a 192.168.x.y address is not routable across the
Internet, yes?   It might go one or two hops, but will pertty soon get
dropped.

> the computer used the gateway, slapped a flag
> on it, sent it to 1.2.3.4,

Now that *is* a routable address, but I think you only gave it as an example -
where are you suggesting that this destination might be?   Across a local
network which you have total control of, or somewhere around the Internet?

> the firewall there saw the flag, changed the ip

Which IP?   Source or destination (or both)?

> on it to 192.168.1.5 coming from 192.168.0.6.

Who's 192.168.0.6?   The real sender?   A fake?   Why choose this address?

> When the computer sent a response, it just reversed the process.

I've chosen the sig on this email especially for you this time :)

Regards,

Antony.

--
90% of networking problems are routing problems.
9 of the remaining 10% are routing problems in the other direction.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.