Adding a flag to a packet

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:53:18 +0100,
Someone named Antony Stone <Antony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If we've covered the NAT table, what's the mangle table?
>
> Tha mangle table is aptly named, and allows you to fiddle about with bits of
> the packets headers which most people wouldn't even think of changing -
> things like the TTL (Time To Live) field, the TOS (Type Of Service) field,
> and for MARKing packets (which doesn't actually change the packet, but allows
> netfilter to carry a special marker around with the packet during further
> processing).

Is it possible, with the mangling table, to edit the packet to have a special flag? So that when it hits another firewall that's setup correctly, it sends it to a pre-configured ip? Example:

On my internet network, the ip range is 192.168.0.0 to 255. If a computer sent a packet to 192.168.1.5, the computer used the gateway, slapped a flag on it, sent it to 1.2.3.4, the firewall there saw the flag, changed the ip on it to 192.168.1.5 coming from 192.168.0.6. When the computer sent a response, it just revered the process.

(I'm implying that the flag does NOT carry the dest-ip information, but simply has a numerical number, or something unquie to tell the firewalls to do this.)

--