Re: Firewall question...

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 1:59 am, V. A.H. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Considering the folowing network scheme:
>
> Internet (Different ISP)
>
> Subnet Y (10.0.0.0/20)
>
>  (eth0)
> Firewall
>  (eth1)
>
> My Subnet(10.0.1.0/24)
>
> Firewall/Router(SNAT)
>
> Internet (My ISP).
>
> I have to filter all traffic between Subnet Y and My Subnet with a firewall
> box. And I don't know how to forward this traffic between those two
> interfaces presented in this scheme.

You don't need to do anything special on the top firewall shown here - what
you need to do is make sure the bottom firewall (which I assume is the
default route for the machines in your Subnet 10.0.1.0/24) has a route for
Subnet Y pointing to eth1 as the next hop.

The top firewall just needs to know about the two networks on either side of
it, which is automatic under Linux - it will only need a default gateway of
its own if it needs to contact the Internet for its own reasons (eg DNS?).

If this still isn;t quite clear to you, repost your diagram with all IP subnet
addresses shown, and IP addresses for each interface.   Then I can give a
clearer answer.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Programming is a Dark Art, and it will always be. The programmer is
fighting against the two most destructive forces in the universe:

 - Damian Conway, Perl God

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.