Re: client on local network

On Sunday 28 March 2004 12:02 pm, Antony Stone wrote:

> On Sunday 28 March 2004 11:49 am, IT Clown wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have just finished reading netfilter howto and im just
> > over halfway with Oskar Andreasson's tutorial.Here is my
> > rule again does this look correct?
>
> You should be using the "-m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED" match in
> your INPUT chain to allow in replies to packets which went out, but not to
> allow new connections from outside (especially to any service on the
> firewall).
>
> See Chapter 4 of Oskar's tutorial.

Here is an example, to allow browsing *from* the local machine, but no access
from anywhere else *to* the local machine.

# Set default DROP policies
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
iptables -P FORWARD DROP

# Allow out the packets we want
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT

# Allow the replies back in again
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

# Done.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but
rather when there is nothing left to take away.

 - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.