RE: identical scripts, 2 boxes, different behavior - what else should i look for?!

Check the gateway on the internal machine you're trying to forward to.

Internal box a will only talk through 1 firewall at a time, or correct me if
I'm wrong.

Firewall1             ,        firewall 2
   .
  /|\

Box A
Gateway is
firewall 1

Incoming packet to internal box A through firewall 2 will not work because
box A tries to respond through firewall 1, not firewall 2.

Or did I completely misunderstand the question?

-=Ray
|                         | Ray Anderson                    |
|           |             | Systems Development Manager     |
|           |             | 916.788.2444 (Office)           |
|          (O)            | 916.798.9439 (Mobile)           |
|X--------<_._>--------X  | PRIDE Industries                |
|         (___)           | rsa at prideindustries.com      |
|                         | http://www.prideindustries.com  |
It's the little things that cost you victories.
Group Captain Reade Tilley, RAF