identical scripts, 2 boxes, different behavior - what else should i look for?!

ok, after being super frustrated trying to figure out
why i can't forward ports properly, i decided to just
take the script we currently are using on the soon to
be old firewall, and load it onto the new one. It
loaded fine, but I get different behavior with the two
machines! I compared the rules line by line using
iptables -L, and theyre identical. But I do not get
forwarded to the internal hosts like I should, when I
try with the new machine! The routing tables are
identical also, and they both have the same kernel
modules loaded... the original is a 2.4.20 precompiled
redhat kernel, and the new one is 2.4.25 that i
compiled myself - could it be something i am missing
in the kernel?? or is there something else i should
check? i have  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward set to 1
of course.. i dont know what else to look for!!!
HELP!!! :)