Re: How to build a better security setup for my problem?

On Saturday 13 March 2004 6:19 pm, Vlad H. wrote:

> 1.) What activity are you trying to allow?
> General internet access for a small group of users from a larger local
> network: web, ftp, mail, etc.

Okay, so you want these people to be able to do more or less anything, out to
the Internet....

> 2.) What activity are you trying to prevent?
> Deny internet access for all other local users.

Well, yes, I assumed that - what I really meant was "what do you suspect your
denied users will get up to, which you wish to detect and make ineffective?"
In this case it seems that the answer is IP and MAC address stealing /
spoofing.

> 3.) What is your concern?
> A denied user can change his mac address to aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa and ip
> address to x.x.x.x for example and become a valid internet user.

True.   Here are a few ideas which might help you:

1. Run arpwatch and keep an eye on the MAC/IP combinations which you see on
the network.
2. Install an ssh server on the machines which are allowed access to the
Internet, and periodically check that they can be connected to (using a
digital signature, not a password).
3. Set up a VPN between the allowed clients and the firewall, so that a
machine which cannot set up a VPN tunnel cannot route to the Internet.
4. Set up a proxy firewall instead of a packet filter, with user
authentication for things like ssh, ftp, http, and selective filtering for
things like pop3 & smtp.
5. Require users to log in to a (local) web server with a username and
password, which if successful runs a script to install the netfilter rule
enabling them access to the Internet.   The rule is removed either after some
period of time, or when they close their browser connection, or something
similar which meets your needs.
6. Don't give the users root (or Administrator) access to their machines so
they cannot change their IP & MAC addresses.
7. Use a tool such as nmap to check the uptimes of clients which should be
allowed access, and investigate any which seem to jump forward or backward.

Hope something here helps,

Antony.

--
If you want to be happy for an hour, get drunk.
If you want to be happy for a year, get married.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.