netfilter machine in between 2 servers

Hi there,
   I have 3 Linux machines. One configured as a server, the second as a client, and the third sniffing packets transferring between the 2. All 3 machines are hooked up to each other over a hub, and all are running 100MB/s

   Using ethereal I can see the packets going between the server and the client. I would like the third, sniffing machine to be able to filter packets going between the client and the server. This doesn't seem to work though.

So I have the following rule on the third machine:
iptables -A INPUT -p 80 -j LOG

meaning just log all http requests. It doesn't work, but if I have this rule on either the client or the server, it works as expected.

I get the feeling I'm missing something very basic. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Do you Yahoo!?