Re: Routing problem

On Saturday 14 February 2004 8:41 am, Carlos Fernandez Sanz wrote:

> The link between the carrier and the linux box happens using WAN addresses,
> ie. 172.x.y.1 (them) <--> 172.x.y.99 (us). All traffic is exchanged using
> those two addresses - they just won't route traffic not being routed from
> 172.x.y.99.

Oh, so when you say "WAN address", you actually mean another private address
(172.x.x.1), not the public address you've been assigned as part of your
pool?

I think I understand now - you're talking about the router addresses which can
talk to each other, not the source addresses of the packets being routed...

> We own *5* public addresses, and they route the traffic to all those
> addresses via 172.x.y.99 (our router).

Okay.

> The route also has 192.168.21.1 on another NIC, which is connected to our
> own LAN. It also has our first public address - so traffic we generate to
> internet uses this public address, and traffic coming from internet goes to
> this public address. (being routed through the 172.x.y.z) addresses.

What (exactly) do you mean by "It also has our first public address"?   Is
that public IP assigned to one of your router's interfaces?   If it is, then
simply connect the machine needing the second public IP address on it to that
interface, pointing to the first public IP as the default route.   Provided
your NAT rules are only applied to what was originally 192.168.21.x traffic,
then those packets with (source address = second public IP) will simply go
through the router and work without NAT.

If, on the other hand, you don't mean that the first public IP has been
assigned to one of the interfaces on your router, then I see you have three
choices (no doubt there are others, maybe some will be suggested by people):

1. Add another interface to the router, assign it your first public IP, and
proceed as described in the paragraph above.

2. Add another interface to the machine requiring the public IP, make sure the
software running on it binds to the public IP and not the private one, and
set up a route on your router telling it "public IP number 2 can be found via
this gateway", giving it the private address of the special machine as the
gateway address.

3. Add an interface to the router and assign it some completely new IP
address, outside any of the network ranges you are currently using (eg
192.168.250.1), and create a point-to-point link to the machine requiring the
public IP (which now needs only one interface, and is assigned that public
IP, but again using a point-to-point route).

You might be able to achieve any of the above using a virtual interface
instead of a physical one, but that would be harder to debug in the event of
problems.

I hope we're getting somewhere now :)

> Just for the record, our user is a SAP employee who needs to access the SAP
> internal network from our office. They have a setup to allow workers to
> connect from home, etc, but obviously they didn't thought they could connect
> from another LAN...

Why don't they just use a VPN?

Antony.

--
In science, one tries to tell people
in such a way as to be understood by everyone

In poetry, it is the exact opposite.

 - Paul Dirac