Re: ip_conntrack and ipt_conntrack

On Friday 23 January 2004 6:14 pm, Rodre Ghorashi-Zadeh wrote:

> If ipt_conntrack does the state matching then what does the ipt_state
> module do?

Indeed - a good question.

To quote from the comments at the top of ipt_state.c and ipt_conntrack.c:

(ipt_state.c)
/* Kernel module to match connection tracking information.
 * GPL (C) 1999  Rusty Russell (rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

(ipt_conntrack.c)
/* Kernel module to match connection tracking information.
 * Superset of Rusty's minimalistic state match.
 * GPL (C) 2001  Marc Boucher (marc@xxxxxxx).

So, the answer is that they are both connection trackinf state matches, but
ipt_conntrack claims to be a more comprehensive one.

To find out more I suggest you look at the source code of each, or ask on the
developers' list.

 - Unless anyone else around here can give a good answer to this???

Regards,

Antony.

--
In science, one tries to tell people
in such a way as to be understood by everyone

In poetry, it is the exact opposite.

 - Paul Dirac

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.