ip_conntrack and ipt_conntrack

On Friday 23 January 2004 2:22 am, Rodre Ghorashi-Zadeh wrote:

Hello,

I was hoping that someone could tell me the difference between these two
modules and what they are each used for. Thanks in advance.

ip_conntrack does connection tracking for various protocols, placing entries in the conntrack table and recognising "related" packets etc.

ipt_conntrack is the connection tracking state match, which allows you to
write rules matching the state of a connection, eg:

iptables -I FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

Regards,

Antony.

--
Anything that improbable is effectively impossible.

- Murray Gell-Mann, Novel Prizewinner in Physics

Please reply to the list;
please don't CC me.

Hello Anthony,

Thanks for your response.

If ipt_conntrack does the state matching then what does the ipt_state module do? All of the rules I have for my firewalls track state, so the ipt_state module gets loaded automatically with the firewall startup script, but ipt_conntrack doesn't, I would have to load it manually if I needed it (or write rules that use it perhaps?). As far as I can tell the state matching is working on my firewall. I really need to get to the bottom of this so I can rule it out on my https://lists.netfilter.org/pipermail/netfilter/2004-January/050005.html problem. Also is the source file for the ip_conntrack module named ip_conntrack_core.c? Thanks again for all your help.

®odre

Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/features&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca