From: netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Sven Burgener
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 4:24 AM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: iptables abilities

Antony Stone wrote:
> The only reason you can't route private addresses across the Internet
is that
> all ISP routers drop packets sent to these address ranges.

Right.

> You would set up your VPN system to forward these packets, just the
same as
> you can set up your own firewalls and routers to forward them if you
want to.

> A VPN with two RFC1918 ranges at each end is a very common setup.

Yes, indeed.

My question, though, is how can a connection be established between two
parties where one of them has a private address (A) and where you want
to connect _to_ the server having the private address (A, see below).

The problem is, you can't establish a connection to the private address
(A), so there has to be a means of 'hijacking' the established session
(from X, see diagram below).

         (Internet)       (Internet)