From: netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Peter Schobel
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 6:09 PM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Problems with Transparent Proxy using IPTables, Squid and 2.6
kernel

ok, I removed the error line and the cat autoconf line from the config.h and
got iptables 1.2.9 to compile against my kernel source and headers and
reinstalled

if i turn on ip_forward and try to access external sites, i get forwarded
through to the external page without problem

if i enable the iptables rule

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT
--to-port 3128

my pages just time out when i try to access external sites

but if i try to access the proxyhost directly using http, it redirects me to
the proxy site without problem

i get exactly the same results using this rule

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination
$LOCALHOST:3128

does anyone have any idea why traffic destined for external sites will not
transparently redirect to squid for me?

does anyone have any idea as to what further steps I can take to
troubleshoot this problem?

Thx in advance,

Peter Schobel

On Thursday, January 8, 2004, at 09:33  PM, Alistair Tonner wrote:

> On January 8, 2004 03:05 pm, Peter Schobel wrote:
>> ok, I downloaded the source ball for iptables 1.2.9, and compiled
>> using
>>
>> make KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/linux-2.6.0-1.107
>>
>> i got an error from config.h telling me to use the glibc version so i
>> symlinked /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-1.107 to /usr/include/linux/config.h
>>
>> then i compiled successfully and installed using
>>
>> make install KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/linux-2.6.0-1.107
>>
>> without incident
>>
>> i checked the timestamp on the iptables binary to make sure that it
>> had been overwritten
>>
>> I rmmod'd all the iptables modules and then reloaded my iptables rule
>>
>> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT
>> --to-port 3128
>>

> 	Ummm ... I don't understand where the error came from.... I'm using
> slackware based box with many upgrades
> 	(gcc glibc binutils and modutils....) my switch from 2.4.23 to 2.6.0

> required a binutils and modutils
> 	upgrade FIRST -- I would hope that RPM dependencies are in place to
> enforce this as it will likely
> 	apply to your situation ... when I rebuilt iptables source it went
> painlessly --- no error from config.h.
>
> 	I *DONT* like the relink .. I've a feeling this will break some
> inportant defines....
>
> 	what do you get for modprobe --version and ld -v ?
> 	I suspect your modutils is incorrect for 2.6.0
>
>> lsmod gives me
>>
>> Module                  Size  Used by
>> ipt_REDIRECT            2048  1
>> iptable_nat            20140  2 ipt_REDIRECT
>> ip_tables              15104  2 ipt_REDIRECT,iptable_nat
>> ip_conntrack           28464  2 ipt_REDIRECT,iptable_nat
>>
>> iptables -t nat -L gives me
>>
>> Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
>> target     prot opt source               destination
>> REDIRECT   tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
>> dpt:http redir ports 3128
>>
>> Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
>> target     prot opt source               destination
>>
>> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>> target     prot opt source               destination
>>
>> testing it reveals that it is still not working - did i do anything
>> wrong in the above steps? what further steps would you recommend to
>> troubleshoot this problem?
>>
>> Peter Schobel
>> ~

Peter Schobel
Network Administrator
Porchlight.ca
Unlimited Internet
In a world without walls or fences
We will have no need for gates or windows