Re: Problems with Transparent Proxy using IPTables, Squid and 2.6 kernel

ok, I removed the error line and the cat autoconf line from the config.h and got iptables 1.2.9 to compile against my kernel source and headers and reinstalled

if i turn on ip_forward and try to access external sites, i get forwarded through to the external page without problem

if i enable the iptables rule

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3128

my pages just time out when i try to access external sites

but if i try to access the proxyhost directly using http, it redirects me to the proxy site without problem

i get exactly the same results using this rule

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination $LOCALHOST:3128

does anyone have any idea why traffic destined for external sites will not transparently redirect to squid for me?

does anyone have any idea as to what further steps I can take to troubleshoot this problem?

Thx in advance,

Peter Schobel