Re: Problems with Transparent Proxy using IPTables, Squid and 2.6 kernel

On January 9, 2004 09:08 pm, Peter Schobel wrote:
> ok, I removed the error line and the cat autoconf line from the
> config.h and got iptables 1.2.9 to compile against my kernel source and
> headers and reinstalled
>
> if i turn on ip_forward and try to access external sites, i get
> forwarded through to the external page without problem
>
> if i enable the iptables rule
>
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT
> --to-port 3128
>
> my pages just time out when i try to access external sites
>
> but if i try to access the proxyhost directly using http, it redirects
> me to the proxy site without problem
>
> i get exactly the same results using this rule
>
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT
> --to-destination $LOCALHOST:3128
>
> does anyone have any idea why traffic destined for external sites will
> not transparently redirect to squid for me?
>
> does anyone have any idea as to what further steps I can take to
> troubleshoot this problem?

	Have you tried LOGging the INPUT chain for both 80 and 3128?
	Or, perhaps more thorough, put a LOG rule in PREROUTING
	before the REDIRECT/DNAT rule to log what you will change,
	and since your destination is local, a LOG rule at the top of INPUT
	to catch *everything* for the interim? -- then see at what point
	the packets are actually disappearing.

	I'm not sure I understand why this should be a problem...
	FWIW -- when I rebuilt iptables (1.2.9) against kernel 2.6.0 my
	/usr/include/linux contained the headers from a 2.4.19 kernel .. .and
	this is what my gcc was built against.  I believe that you need to have
	the /usr/include/linux that existed when gcc was built in there ... but
	someone who knows more about compilers than I might thump me on the
	skull for that ... I'm *NOT* 100% sure about the interdependencies...

	Alistair Tonner ...