Re: Can I have DES / 3 DES VPN with IPtables Kernal kernel versio n 2. 4.20 with IPSEC installed

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 07:18:38AM +0530, Laxmi_Narsaiah wrote:
> I am sorry, I am not clear...U mean to say this IPTABLES supports 3DES ???

	IPTables itself has no use for 3DES.

	If you mean IPSec (FreeS/WAN), yes, FreeS/WAN supports 3DES.

	IPSec is provided by the FreeS/WAN package, not by IPTables.
But IPSec is an IP protocol (two actually) so it does get processed and
filtered by IPTables, yes.

	IPTables won't know anything about 3DES.  It will know about
AH (IP protocol 51) and ESP (IP protocol 50).  You can filter those in
IPTables.  But the VPN stuff itself will be managed by FreeS/WAN.

	IPTables is in the stock kernels.  FreeS/WAN is an add-on and
can add IPSec to the 2.4 kernels.  IPSec (the kernel level encryption
code) has been added to the 2.6 kernel and can be managed by the user-land
FreeS/WAN utilities.

	Mike

 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/