RE: Can I have DES / 3 DES VPN with IPtables Kernal kernel versio n 2. 4.20 with IPSEC installed

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 18:29, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> No but that you can use it in conjunction with FreeS/WAN which does
> provide a 3DES VPN (http://www.freeswan.org)
>
> On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 20:48, Laxmi_Narsaiah wrote:
> > I am sorry, I am not clear...U mean to say this IPTABLES supports 3DES
> > ???

Laxmi,

NetFilter = Linux's in-kernel rules-based mechanism to carry out
IP-level packet manipulation e.g. SNAT, DNAT, packet filtering etc.

IPTables = user-space tools to program the NetFilter rules into the
kernel. IPTables is not directly related to VPNs in any way whatsoever.
However, IPTables may be used for the packet filtering and NAT rules to
help the VPN traffic. IPTables does not deal with 3DES etc.

VPNs can be implemented using many sets of technologies. One example is
IKE with IPSec.

FreeS/WAN = an IKE and IPSec implementation for Linux.

racoon = an IKE implementation for Linux, ported from BSD.

Linux 2.6 = has built-in IPSec support

Linux 2.4 = there's an IPSec backport from Linux 2.6 to Linux 2.4 by
Dave Miller.

If you want to stick to Linux 2.4, FreeS/WAN is a better bet. If you can
move to Linux 2.6, racoon is better.

HTH,

--

Ranjeet Shetye
Senior Software Engineer

The views, opinions, and judgements expressed in this message are solely
those of the author. The message contents have not been reviewed or
approved by Zultys.