Re: (no subject)

Joel Newkirk wrote:
On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 17:53, Antony Stone wrote:

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 10:45 pm, Joel Newkirk wrote:

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 15:48, Antony Stone wrote:

I'm not quite sure why you want to accept email only from Hotmail and
Yahoo, and from nowhere else (a lot of people I know do the exact
opposite!), however I still think an easier solution to your erquirement
is to accept all email through your firewall, and then accept only mail
from Hotmail / Yahoo on your mail server - because that can select based
on the sender's address, without needing to know the IPs of their mail
servers (which may change one day without you knowing).

Ah, but the point is that while lots of spam claims to be from
*@yahoo.com, if it comes to us from a known yahoo IP then we at least
know it's a legitimate source address.  The problem regarding yahoo and
spam is NOT that yahoo is the source of so much spam, but that so much
spam forges a yahoo.com source.  The 'ideal' filter would reject any
email claiming a yahoo sender that doesn't come from a yahoo mailserver.

I agree with this completely, however I didn't get the impression from the
original posting that this was the reason for wanting to do it in this case?

True - he apparently is comfortable with the idea that any email not
from Portugal, Hotmail, or Yahoo, isn't getting in.  I work for an ISP,
so obviously that approach would be invalid (and impossible) for us, but
we're finding that using an iptables chain to DROP selected incoming
SMTP connections right at the director has dramatically reduced the load
on the qmail nodes in the cluster.  Disregarding the obvious logistics,
catching this same incoming spam with content filtering takes a hell of
a lot more resources than "iptables -A BLOCKS -s 68.34.253.111 -j DROP".

You make a good point. We customarily assume mail should be open by default and rejected as needed which is the exact opposite of our firewalling theory. He's essentially applied firewall theory to mail service. It's certainly an efficient (in the sense of bandwidth) way to do it. As you know there are some problems with this approach not the least of which is letting the 'postmaster' screw with your firewall rules ;-) but it also has a certain elegance.

Jeff