RE: Order in ruleset edition

It does not matter if you put rules for different chains amongst each other. You do not have to enter all of the forward rules first and then all of the input rules, etc. The order of the rules within the chain does matter. Obviously it makes it easier to read if you group the rules by which chain they are going into, so it isn't a bad idea.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alejandro Cabrera Obed [mailto:sisdis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 12:41
To: Netfilter lista (iptables)
Subject: Order in ruleset edition

Hi !!!
I'm trying to construct my own ruleset of iptables; I'm editing a file
script.

My question is the following:

Is there any order about CHAINS and TABLES that I have to follow in order to
construct my iptables ruleset ??? For example, is it the same if firstly I
write in my script my the FORWARD rules and then the OUTPUT and INPUT rules
or viceversa ???

Thanks a lot and regards !!!

Alejandro.

The information transmitted in this message is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this document.