Order in ruleset edition

Hi !!!
I'm trying to construct my own ruleset of iptables; I'm editing a file
script.

My question is the following:

Is there any order about CHAINS and TABLES that I have to follow in order to
construct my iptables ruleset ??? For example, is it the same if firstly I
write in my script my the FORWARD rules and then the OUTPUT and INPUT rules
or viceversa ???

Thanks a lot and regards !!!

Alejandro.