how can I improve the throughput of linux firewall that use the netfilter + iptable

I want to use the netfilter+iptables for my company's local_net.

but I have read the following words on some webpage
"we use linux as our router. i just tested the performance of the router with smartbits, and i found that the throughput of 64byte .and the result is not good"

we have not the smartbits

but we want to use "iptables + netfilter + a normal pc with two eth " for our company
there are about 1,000 PCs in the local_net

what can I do to improve it