Re: Dropping SYN with FIN flag set

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 15:29, Tom Marshall wrote:

> Don't know if you care or not, but you could do this much more efficiently
> with perl.

I *totally* agree. I teach the SANS perimeter track (T2) and teach this
method of log review. While I can teach people how to use grep in about
10 minutes, perl takes a wee bit longer. Using the same method I teach
in class gives me a better chance to debug/improve/etc.

>  If you don't want to do that, you can at least avoid the
> tempfiles by using the surrounding spaces in your patterns, eg.
>
>   grep " FINSCAN " logfile > finscan.txt

I like using temp files as it aids in debugging. Also, I kind of have to
use the temp files as I '-v' out everything I have a pattern for and
want to be able to see what ever is left (i.e. all the traffic I don't
create a match pattern for).

Thanks!