RE: a sort of n00b question here but I'ld like to know.

For RAM: /proc/slabinfo gives you a lot of memory allocation info. The
second column is the 'number of objects' and the third column is the
'size of object'

For CPU: the 'system' on the CPU states field handles the cpu load on
the system.

For disk: there is not a consideration. Netfilter shouldn't be affected
by disk I/O.

The only serious slowdowns I had with Netfilter were when I had a memory
leak. I had 2.4.20 redhat derived kernel with a semi-recent
patch-o-matic.

The memory kept on building up, and eventually I was so short on memory
that the whole system started grinding doing anything. I updated to
2.4.22 and the problem has totally disappeared, as well as those
annoying slowdowns.