Re: Using iptables with x86_64 static kernel (module problems)?

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 03:13:33AM +0300, Jani Averbach wrote:
> > I don't really understand the problem.  'iptables tries to do various
> > mudules related task' ?
>
> Ok, perhaps the culprit is not the module related things, but however
> iptables won't work with x86_64 kernel.

I will give it some testing.  My Opteron box only runs 2.6.x kernels,
which seem to work fine with iptables.

> My first idea was that iptables try to use modprobe etc. to probing if
> various netfilter kernel modules are present, and it gets confused
> when this module-stuff won't work with x86_64 kernel.

mh. The only idea I have is that you've somehow ended up with a 32bit
iptables (which won't work).  It has to be compiled in the same mode as
the kernel itself - to assure that structure sizes/alignment/... are
consistent.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>             http://www.netfilter.org/