Re: OT: iptables-like firewall for windows?

Jason Joines wrote:

>  We have a completely Linux back-end environment but unfortunately
> hundreds of windows desktops.  I'm pretty tired of all the attacks on
> the unprotected windows boxes but don't have the authority to put up a
> network firewall.  We protect all of our Linux servers with iptables.

It would be a lot cheaper to put up a Linux-based network firewall
than to install Win-based firewalls on each desktop.  Tell your
Supervisor that it is more feasible to install a firewall.

Compare the costs and effectiveness.  If your supervisor expects
you to install commercial firewalls to protect the windows
desktop, he's really smegging smoking something strange.

I mean if you can afford to protect your Linux servers with
iptables, how hard is it to add one more machine to protect
ALL your workstations?   Mind you, I don't know how your
company's system is setup, so I don't know if 'one' firewall
is applicable enough (though it should...*shrug*)

> Does anyone know of a similar tool for windows, particularly w2k?  The
> built-in stuff seems to be virtually worthless.

I wouldn't know.  I don't use the builtin stuff.

You can try ZoneAlarm Pro, or Kerio.