Re: OT: iptables-like firewall for windows?

Jason Joines wrote:
 We have a completely Linux back-end environment but unfortunately
hundreds of windows desktops.  I'm pretty tired of all the attacks on
the unprotected windows boxes but don't have the authority to put up a
network firewall.  We protect all of our Linux servers with iptables.
Does anyone know of a similar tool for windows, particularly w2k?  The
built-in stuff seems to be virtually worthless.

Thanks,

Jason Joines
Open Source = Open Mind

You mean your Windows desktop boxes are just sitting out on the Internet unprotected? That seems unlikely...surely they are at least behind a NAT device or proxy? In any event, A linux firewall (or any firewall) isn't going to fully protect you..take a look at the latest security bug in IE (object tag). Keeping the desktops patched will go a LONG way towards securing those machines. Don't put too much faith in a firewall, all it takes is one notebook user to bring your whole network down with a virus/trojan.

Goodluck,
Matt