Re: Blocking Kazaa

http://www.securitymetrics.com/portscan.adp

Above is an online port scanner. It scans for Kazzaa openings(among other
things). It seems to think that Kazzaa is open always on 1214. As I said before
I am not sure as I do not use Kazzaa. If you find anything out about this I
will gladly write up something on my web site to show other users how to block
Kazzaa as it seems to come up alot.

Thanks
SBlaze

--- Jean-Rene Cormier <jean-rene.cormier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I haven't checked the source ports but I doubt after all they did to get
> around firewalls that they would put fixed source ports. Though I'll
> check it out, you never know.
>
> Jean-Rene Cormier
>

> On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 14:23, SBlaze wrote:
> > I don't know much about Kazzaa I never used it...but you said you checked
> the
> > connection ports right? What about source ports. Check both the source and
> the
> > destination port(s) and see if you see any consistencies. Sometimes you
> don't
> > need to block ALL ports just the ones that initiate a connection.
> >
> > Hope this helps
> > SBlaze
> >
> > --- Jean-Rene Cormier <jean-rene.cormier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Anybody know a way of blocking Kazaa? I've tried the string matching way
> > > but it doesn't seem to work. I tried logging all connections from  my
> > > windows desktop so I could see to which port it connects and it connects
> > > to so many different port that you basically need to block ports 1000 to
> > > 4000 but after that it connects to port 80 which obviously I can't
> > > block. I installed ethereal on the windows desktop to check which string
> > > I could filter but couldn't find anything useful.
> > >
> > > Anybody have an idea what can be done? I'm thinking another option would
> > > be to block the IP of the servers but there seem to be quite a list...
> > > that's if it doesn't just try some random IPs...
> > >
> > > Jean-Rene Cormier
> > >

> > =====
> > "Winky is not knowing how sir, winky is not knowing how?" -=Winky / Harry
> Potter and the Goblet of Fire=-"

> > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

=====
"Winky is not knowing how sir, winky is not knowing how?" -=Winky / Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire=-"