Re: port-based filtering of IPsec packets?

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 03:50:26PM -0500, Rick Kennell wrote:

> I'm not using a tunnel.  I'll describe what (I believe) is happening:
>
> I have two systems that are set up with an IPsec policy that requires
> all packets sent between them to have an AH header and the payload
> encapsulated in an ESP section.  Interaction with other hosts is normal.
>
> When the packet comes in, netfilter sees it as an ESP packet.  Even the
> INPUT chains in the mangle and filter tables see the packet as an ESP
> packet.  I don't see a reason why the INPUT chains wouldn't want to see
> a decrypted (or, as you put, decapsulated) packet.  Instead, it appears
> that the packet is decapsulated after it's out of the filter table's
> INPUT chain.  i.e. it gets decapsulated between netfilter and the
> application.
>
> Maybe the implementation should be changed to decapsulate the packet
> just after the routing decision but before the INPUT chains?
>
> Surely there must be some way of doing port-based filtering of ESP
> packets that are known to be bound for the local host.

Then I'm sorry. I don't know. I've always had problems with the interaction
between FreeS/WAN and netfilter. If the traffic is meant for the localhost
then, you're right, it should be visible in the clear to the INPUT chain.
The only thing I heard which is promissing is 2.5 has native IPsec support
in the kernel which is supposed to work well with the other subsystem.

Ramin