Re: Connection Rate Limiting

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 08:58:25AM -0700, Daniel David Benson wrote:

> Hopefully this one hasn't been answered before.  We need to rate
> limit on a per source IP address to port 80.  We are seeing certain
> web servers suffer from resource starvation under a DDOS attack.
> The solution to this problem is rate limit the number of
> connections any source IP address can make.  Is this possible
> to do with iptables?  I have searched just about everything and
> I can't seem to find anything.  I know I can do traffic shaping
> with iproute2, but I don't think that is the direction I want
> to take.

I believe that a iplimit from the patch-o-matic would serve you in
this. A part of the description:

This adds CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_IPLIMIT match allows you to restrict the
number of parallel TCP connections to a server per client IP address
(or address block).

Examples:

# allow 2 telnet connections per client host
iptables -p tcp --syn --dport 23 -m iplimit --iplimit-above 2 -j REJECT

====
Tomas Edwardsson
HP Unix - Technical Support \  HP Unix Certified System Administrator
Red Hat Technical Support    \  Red Hat Certified Engineer.
Opin Kerfi