Re: Connection Rate Limiting

I use this to rate-limit spiders:

iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --dport 80 -m limit --limit 20/m -j ACCEPT

Frank

--On Thursday, May 15, 2003 08:58:25 -0700 Daniel David Benson <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hopefully this one hasn't been answered before. We need to rate limit on a per source IP address to port 80. We are seeing certain web servers suffer from resource starvation under a DDOS attack. The solution to this problem is rate limit the number of connections any source IP address can make. Is this possible to do with iptables? I have searched just about everything and I can't seem to find anything. I know I can do traffic shaping with iproute2, but I don't think that is the direction I want to take.

I know there is -limit in iptables, but unless I don't clearly
understand the implementation this limit is matched against
the resource and not on a per source.  So, you have 5 source
IPs comming in with requests all of which effect the counters
global instead of each source having their own counter.

We have tried mod_throttle for apache...but that crashes quite
a bit as the tables grow.  Plus. I want to stop the attacks
before the apache level.

Thanks!

-Dan

-- Frank Smith fsmith@xxxxxxxxxxx Systems Administrator Voice: 512-374-4673 Hoover's Online Fax: 512-374-4501