Newbie Question: Counting TX Bytes IP Aliases

Hello All-

I have searched examples and the Internet and cannot find what I am looking
for.

I do not want to use iptables/netfilter for any firewall usage, all I would
like to do is simply have it count the TX and RX bytes of IP Aliases (a
feature discontinued in ifconfig since kernel 2.2).

Can anyone help me with this command?

Also, does the counter than traverse a server restart?

Will this work with iptables or will I need to install a netfilter package?

And finally:  When I list the bytes of the default INPUT chain it does not
match the byte count of ifconfig.  Is it inaccurate?

Thanks for all of your help.

-Allon

Allon Bendavid                                          Imacination Software
allon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                            http://www.imacination.com/
818-706-8664
Visit Imacination and start selling on the Web today with Ch-Ching!