RE: block downloads on file type

Hi,

You can use Squid Cache + [content filtering ] + Apache mod_proxy + RewriteMap in mod_rewrite + your own script to process requests passed to it from RewriteMap + Netfilter + IPRoute2 Traffic Control (TC tool).

Or just [content filtering] + Apache mod_cache + mod_proxy + mod_rewrite + Netfilter + TC Tool.

You can also use Snort + [ snortSnaf, etc. ] + Netfilter + TC tool.

Or you can use hogwash + TC tool.

I don't know if you can do it just with Squid + IPTables as he mentioned, but I'm sure you eventually gonna want to use a traffic shaper (TC tool) somewhere.

Just to tell ya that if you are doing it to slow down those downloads, might as well post up a user policy that they are responsible for their own bandwidth usage and just do IPRoute2 traffic shaper and a suitable Qdisc to fair share available bandwidth among people on your network. A lot less hassle and less bugs / security problems.

Good luck.