Re: Redirect DHCP requests to DMZ?

On 23 Apr 2003 14:19:13 +0200,
Cedric Blancher <blancher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<1051100353.12295.96.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Le mer 23/04/2003 Ã 12:08, Carsten Maass a Ãcrit :
> > Local LAN (192.168.20.*)
> >    Switch
> > Router/Firewall ---- DMZ (192.168.21.*)
> >   Internet
> >
> > Everything runs smoothly, except for one thing: I am unable to
> > redirect DHCP request from the clients on the local LAN to the DHCP
> > server inside the DMZ.
>
> You'll achieve this setting a DHCP Relay up. Due to what they are,
> DHCP packets cannot be routed through different IP networks (mainly
> because of destination addresses that are used).
>
> But this kind of setup is no secure. If someones breaks into your DMZ,
> he will be able to have your LAN's configuration, and even tamper it,
> acting on DHCP stuff. That's _very bad_. DMZ compromission must not
> endanger rest of network security.

..to put it short: get that dhcp server out of your dmz box
and into a lan box (or maybe the firewall).

..the dmz is _only_ for stuff you want me, Saddam, Osama bin Laden,
Bill Gates, the scriptkiddies and the FBI to see.  Here, I speak
with authority; Neither of us needs your dhcp server.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: