Re: about yahoo messenger and http download

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 08:15:03AM +0800, chammy wrote:
> Does any one can provide tip & hints, how to block the yahoo messenger and http
> downlaod, the mainly problem of yahoo messenger is can not block "all block"
>
> yahoo mesenger default is 5050, if not avaiable will scan 80 , we can not stop
> 80 cause we need to www service and the http download is same problem

1. The easy way

  * Tell employees that Yahoo Messenger is prohibited.
  * Log outbound connections to port 5050.
  * Find a unique signature for the HTTP connections and log them.
   (eg. "Host: scs.yahoo.com" or somesuch).
  * Let management deal with offenders.

2. The hard way

  Try to fool Yahoo Messenger into thinking that it got a connection, but
  the server immediately closed the connection.  Perhaps then it will not
  try to go stealth and instead tell the user that it cannot connect.  You
  might try using a REDIRECT to a local port and use tcpwrappers to force
  the socket to be immediately closed.

--
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know
how bad I am.