Re: T-Pot (TCP HoneyPot) idea

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 06:07:41PM -0400, waltdnes@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>   I'm sure every here has seens lots of SYN-packets in their logs,
> trying to connect to various ports they shouldn't be talking to.  I
> don't run any public servers, and I use passive ftp, so I simply block
> all connection attempts.  The general procedure is to drop the packet,
> and ignore it.  What would be the effect of sending back a SYN-ACK
> packet (and anything else necessary?) to fake the setting up of a
> connection... and then dropping the packet and ignoring it ?

	Please check freshmeat for the following references:

	honeyd
	labrea
	arpd
	portsentry
	deception toolkit

	I think you will find more than you ever imagined.

>   Would an infected machine scanning the net eventually run into
> resource limits and DOS itself ?  I'm sure that professional crackers
> can work around this, but if we can make things a bit more painful for
> skiddies and automatic worms, then let's do it.

>   Can such trickery be pulled off with a current bog-standard iptables,
> or does someone need to write a new "target"?

	Use a user space bodger.  You can do much more amusing things
that way.  Honeyd can even fool nmap thinking it different operating
systems.

> --
> Walter Dnes <waltdnes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
> eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
> and has a lower TCO, than linux.

	Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@xxxxxxxxxxxx