T-Pot (TCP HoneyPot) idea

  I'm sure every here has seens lots of SYN-packets in their logs,
trying to connect to various ports they shouldn't be talking to.  I
don't run any public servers, and I use passive ftp, so I simply block
all connection attempts.  The general procedure is to drop the packet,
and ignore it.  What would be the effect of sending back a SYN-ACK
packet (and anything else necessary?) to fake the setting up of a
connection... and then dropping the packet and ignoring it ?

  Would an infected machine scanning the net eventually run into
resource limits and DOS itself ?  I'm sure that professional crackers
can work around this, but if we can make things a bit more painful for
skiddies and automatic worms, then let's do it.

  Can such trickery be pulled off with a current bog-standard iptables,
or does someone need to write a new "target"?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will