what should I do???

Hi all, I am e nebie in this area so there was something I was wondering.

I am going to configure a firewall on my debian, I have 3 interfaces (eth0,
eth1, eth2).
So I was wondering what would be the best solution:

using the INPUT, FORWARD and OUTPUT chains
or
creating chains for tcp, icmp udp and so on
or
creating diffirent chains for my interfaces?

cheers Nina