Load Balancing

I am trying to test the load balancing on a test machine with 2 external 2Mb Internet links and it doesn't appear to be working. I am using RedHat 8.0 and get this message when doing ip route list:

default equalize
        nexthop via xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  dev eth1 weight 1 dead onlink pervasive
        nexthop via xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  dev eth0 weight 1 onlink

I have read a similar problem from this list and it appears that the RedHat RPM of iproute2 (iproute-2.4.7-5) is broken and this was resolved by installing a newer version of iproute.

As I am very new to some aspects of Linux could someone inform me of how to compile and install iproute as it asks for you to change the KERNEL_INCLUDE directory in the Makefile and I have no idea where the Kernel include directory is. I can't get it to make.

I have downloaded and installed iproute-2.4.7-7.rpm but this also has the same problems.

Cheers
Allan