Re: migrating ipchains to iptables

On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 20:15:10 -0500, "John Lumby" <johnlumby@xxxxxxxxxxx>
_MAILED!!!_, instead of posting, and in top-posting style too, in
message <F27pMHi0SYNIPukg3nO0000612d@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> [...]

..hint; errata means?   ;-)

..they come as "Security", "Bug Fix", and "Enhancement".  ;-)

> Is it that the setup in my 2.4.18-3 won't do
> this conversion (I didn't try it yet see below**)

..do.  Now.   ;-)

> or that you think
> there are important security flaws fixed in the later release?
>
> John
>
> ** I don't see any man page for "setup" and never heard of it before.
> Is it documented anywhere?    Or is it just self-documenting?
> I prefer to know what some tool like this will do before letting it do
> it.

..wise.  Try it anyway, it has a "Cancel" button too if you don't like
it, I'm not too impressed myself, but it does get a firewall newbie's
_workstation_ safely online, until he gets his iptables act together.

..now, I prefer adding webmin(.com) and shorewall(.net) to control
iptables, whenever my clients wanna try do stuff themselves.

..if they run more mission critical stuff, I have them put ipcop(.org)
on its own box, usually version 1.3"alpha", 1.3 is now in beta and due
out as stable in a few weeks.  The stable 0.1.1 and 1.2.0 is based on
2.2 and ipchains and will not do stateful firewalling.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: