Bug in INPUT mangle table?

Hi,
    I don't know if this is a bug in  iptables or in my implementation. The problem is, if I add a single entry in mangle table in INPUT chain I'm not able to ping the host from anywhere!
I've hundreds of rules in FORWARD mangle table, which I've been using for shaping traffice to my clients  and it is working fine. I tried it another pc,  though running the same version of iptables, but the result is same. I can't ping the pc from anywhere once a single rule is added to INPUT manlge table. But once the INPUT mangle table is flushed I can ping it. The problem is ony with ICMP packets because I'm still able to connect to the pc using ssh!

I'm using :
iptables v1.2.6a
Kernel : 2.4.20  with HTB 3.6-020525 Patch applied

thanks a lot,
Rohit Neupane