RE: How to keep record of repeat attackers?

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, George Chacon wrote:

> >>Your first problem is defining "offenders", then "repeat offenders" and
> >>"attackers".  Do you mean simply to track everyone who attempts to
> >>connect to you?  I presume you don't expect much if any legitimate
> >>incoming NEW traffic if this is the intent?
>
> Thanks for the response Joel.  What I'd like to track are the IP addresses
> that get denied or rejected, and the deny/reject rules that get accessed
> frequently.  In other words, I'd like to track repeated, obvious, malicious
> connections.  I'd like to know if the same person is relentlessly chipping
> away at my firewall, looking for weaknesses.
>
> I'll take a look at http://ntop.org.  That looks pretty good.

It may do, but I would still keep LOG in mind. You can catch just what you
want, put a useful prefix on the message to simplify analysis, and bang on
it with a perl program.

One hint for quick and dirty values is to write as little custom code as
you can. I use perl to identify the offending IPs and dump them to stdout,
then something like:
  perl getIP.pl mylog | sort | uniq -c | sort -n | tail -20

Emits the IP, sorts for uniq, output a count of how many times the IP
showed up, sorts on the count, and displays the top 20 "worst offenders."
Since this isn't something I often do the same way twice, it works for me.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc