Re: ICMP: What should be blocked?

Jean-Christian Imbeault, on Wednesday, Mar  5 2003 at 08:09, wrote:
> I been googling the web trying to find what rules I should set up for
> ICMP but I've seen some people say one thing while other say something
> completely different.
>
> One question I have not been able to find an answer to though, should I
> block ICMP messages of type 11 (TTL exceeded)?
>
> Also if anyone knows of a good resource that explains what ICMP messages
> I should block (why and how :) could they let me know? I understand that
> it of course depends on my level of paranoia and how friendly I want to
> be to the rest of the net, but I get the feeling from my readings that
> the are some ICMP messages that just should not be let through a
> firewall ....

Here are a good start point:
http://www.sns.ias.edu/~jns/security/iptables/iptables_conntrack.html#ICMP
http://www.sns.ias.edu/~jns/security/iptables/rules.html

Although it's somewhat paranoid with icmp (e.g. the icmp_echo_ignore_all),
you can tune it to your needs.

(note also that the REJECT rule of auth port found there needs an output one
 with an OUTPUT DROP default policy, something like:
 iptables -A OUTPUT -o $IFACE -p tcp -m state --st REL --sp ident -j ACCEPT)

	Manuel