Looking for fair bandwidth management advice.

Hello, this is my first post to the netfilter list. Here is my issue:

My internet connection is 28.8 from my home (painfull, but I won't get into why it has to be this way). I run a linux iptables NAT/firewall to allow net access to machines on my network. However, whenever one machine uses the full link speed (downloading a file), it pretty much cuts the rest of the machines off. Latency goes over 1 second and packet loss is pretty severe for the other machines. I notice on faster links, filling the upload and download streams does not send other connections off into timeout land, but it does add latency to them though.

I did read the bandwidth management section of the Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic HOWTO. Stochastic Fairness Queueing seams to fit what I'm looking for. However, I'm no TCP/IP expert, so I am looking for advice on how you would go about working with this setup. Thanks --Adam.